Asparagus with pancetta & poached egg
1) Wrap the asparagus tightly in the pancetta, place on a baking tray and season. Place under a moderate grill and grill for around 10 minutes, turning as necessary until the pancetta is crispy.
2) Make sure your eggs are really fresh.Crack your egg into a bowl, this makes it easier to slide into the pan. If there is any very runny white surrounding the thicker white then tip this away.
3) Bring a pan of water with a splash of vinegar in it, filled at least 5cm deep to a simmer. Stir the water to create a gentle whirlpool to help the egg white wrap around the yolk. Slowly tip the egg into the centre. Make sure the heat is low enough not to throw the egg around – there should only be small bubbles rising.Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the white is set.
4) Lift the egg out with a slotted spoon and drain it on kitchen paper. Trim off any straggly bits of white. If you need to cook more than one poached egg, keep it at the right temperature in warm water, but make sure the water isn't hot enough to overcook the egg.
5) Divide the asparagus between two warmed plates and garnish with a few leaves of watercress. Top the asparagus with the poached eggs and season with a little freshly cracked black pepper and sea salt flakes.