TOMATO, FETA CHEESE AND ANCHOVY TARTE TATIN (SERVES 4)
Prep time 1 hour
Cooking time 40 minutes
To make the pastry
- Sift 250g of strong plain flour and 1 tsp fine sea salt into a large bowl. Add the butter to the bowl and rub them in loosely. Don’t make the crumb too fine! You need to see bits of butter.
- Make a well in the bowl and pour in about 100ml of cold water, mixing until you have a firm rough dough adding extra water if needed to bring together.
- Cover with cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for 20 mins.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board, knead gently and form into a smooth rectangle.
- Roll the dough in one direction only, until 3 times the width, about 20 x 50cm. Keep edges straight and even. Don’t overwork the butter streaks; you should have a marbled effect.
- Fold the top third down to the centre, then the bottom third up and over that. Give the dough a quarter turn (to the left or right) and roll out again to three times the length.
- Fold as before, cover with cling film and chill for at least 20 mins before rolling to form a 22cm circular disc of pastry about 3mm thick.
For the tart filling:
- Heat the butter and oil in a 20cm large frying pan over medium heat with a dash of balsamic vinegar until foaming. Add the tomato, cut side down. Reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 220°C/ 200°C Fan/ Gas 6. Brush a round 20cm cake pan with melted butter. Arrange tomato, cut side down, over base of pan.
- Top with your pastry disc and tuck in the excess to make a tight fit.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Turn onto a serving plate.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese and anchovy fillets and a twist of black pepper.
Serve with a baby leaf salad dressed with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
A simple light lunch to share, bursting with flavours and taken to the next level with the addition of some Anchovy fillets. Juicy ripe tomatoes topped with crisp, golden pastry to make this show-stopping savoury version of the classic French tarte tatin.