Italian Ribollita with Pancetta (Serves 4)
1) Heat the 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a thick based pan and sweat off the onion, celery and carrots. This should take about 10 minutes
2) Add the leeks and garlic and gently cook for a further 10 minutes until translucent and tender
3) Add the pancetta, potatoes and courgettes, stir well and cook for a further 5 minutes
4) Add the stock, passata, bouquet grani and chilli flakes and season to taste with the sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
5) Simmer for about 45 minutes and then add the cannellini beans and cook for a further 10 minutes
6) In a liquidizer or with a stick blender, purée 1 ladle full of the soup and return back to the pot, add the cavolo nero (or whichever cabbage you are using) and cook for about 15 minutes.
6) Remove from the heat and allow to stand for at least two hours to develop the flavours. This soup would really benefit from being refrigerated overnight to help the flavours develop.
7) Toast the six slices of bread and then rub them with the garlic and place 1 in the bottom of a large pasta bowl. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and then cover with the reheated soup