CARPACCIO OF BEEF FILLET – Serves 4
1. Pre heat a thick based frying pan until it is extremely hot and beginning to smoke
2. Roll the fillet steak on all sides in the cracked black peppercorns
3. Carefully pour in a couple of tablespoons of a light olive oil and then very carefully place the fillet steak in the pan
4. Sear for roughly 30 seconds on all sides and ends and then remove – remember here you’re not trying to cook the steak but simply seal in the flavours.
5. Roll the fillet steak tightly in cling film to help it maintain its barrel shape. Place in the refrigerator and leave to completely cool for an hour. (Tip – If you put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes once cool it will firm up and make slicing much easier)
6. To make the dressing, place the garlic, salt and thyme in a mortar and pestle and grind until you have a smooth paste. Add the lemon juice and olive oil and stir together. Check the seasoning and add more salt and lemon to taste. Beware adding pepper as the olive itself is quite peppery and the beef is rolled in pepper.
7. Remove the beef from the fridge (or freezer!) and with a very sharp flat bladed knife thinly slice the beef about 1mm thick….. If your having trouble slicing it this thin then slice the beef 3 to 4mm thick, place each slice between two pieces of cling film and gently press out either with the palm of your hand or a rolling pin.
8. Arrange the slices on the bottom of a plate and scatter over some parmesan and rocket leaves. To finish, drizzle over some of the dressing and enjoy!!
A perfect, decadent starter that shows off beef fillet in all its glory - Serves 4